Friday, January 21, 2005

Only teens not allowed to use cell phones

In case you're tired of reading about Bush's inaugural address, let me comment on this Washington Post article about a proposed Virigina law that would prohibit only teenagers from speaking on a cell phone, even with a hands free kit, while driving.

Dumb, dumb, dumb. There's no evidence that there's a rash of traffic accidents caused specifically by teenagers talking on cell phones. Why not ban everyone? Or raise the driving age to 18 if those under 18 aren't mature enough?

This is a law that's impossible to enforce. Is a police officer going to pull over a car with a driver using a cell phone to see how old the driver is? No!

Unenforceable laws only lead to disrespect for the law in general.

4 comments:

Moi said...

I totally agree with you assertion about unenforcable laws.

R said...

I agree with LG.

If your kids are too stupid to drive, don't let them drive.

If your kids are too stupid to drive and talk on a cel phone, don't let them have a cel phone.

It's that easy, folks.

Old Blind Dog said...

My daughter (age 27) just called me from her car so I asked her what she thought of this question. She not only agrees with the law she also allowed that kids shouldn't be able to drive until they are 18. While I wouldn't go that far, I think the law is a good idea. Young people are easily distracted. Before anyone jumps on me with their anectdote about how concientious they were, I know all about it. I was driving when I was 12 and flying airplanes when I was 16, so yeah, it doesn't apply to everyone but they are exceptions not the rule.

Roberto Iza Valdés said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.